Today in lab I was given the chance to micro-teach my art lesson. In this skill lesson advised my class that the students were expected to create a puzzle piece that visually represented their identity. When I went through my original lesson plan with the class they gave me some great advice. They let me know that by having my own example ready it would help clear up some possible confusion around the overall expectations of the assignment. They also advised me that they were grade 8, so I should let them cut out their own puzzle piece’s which will ultimately save me time and energy. The more that I reflected on the lesson plan I realized that limiting the students to drawing with markers, pencil crayons, etc. may cause the less artistically inclined students to be unwilling to participate so I decided that I would open it up and let the students do collage style as well where they could look up and print out images that coincide with their identity and attach them to their paper. I hope that these changes will improve the lesson and that it will translate well to my class.
October 31, 2018
Today was the first day that we met our field supervisor. He was able to come to observe our lessons and set out a plan for our next few visits. He was a very interesting man and I appreciate the way that he gives feedback. During pre-conference, we discussed what was expected to come out of the lesson. We started off the morning with the students independently reading for the first 30 minutes. After that, Brendan taught ELA for the next hour. He had a really good lesson planned that combined scary stories (for Halloween) to their adventurer unit that they had been working on for the last few weeks. Overall, I thought it went well. There were a few students that would not participate, but that was expected, he encouraged them as best he could. After recess, it was my turn to teach. I had an hour to cover an introductory lesson on culture. There were so many ways that I could take it, I was a little hesitant. I decided to complete a KWLS chart with the kids to assess what they already knew about culture.
We then read the introduction to the unit from the textbook as a class. I then split them into groups and assigned them a section from the textbook to read and discuss together. The discussions, for the most part, were really good. I had a few students who were able to really expand on what they were reading. I made sure to circulate throughout the classrooms to make sure that they were staying on topic while also asking them to relate what they had learned their groups by having them identify cultural similarities and differences between them. After their group discussions, I brought the classroom back together and had each group share what they had learned with the rest of the class. We then finished the KWLS chart together and I was very impressed with some of the answers they gave. I had the students copy down the chart on the back of the definition sheet that I gave them for the unit. They then had to give a brief summary of the sections that they didn’t read. When they finished they went for lunch. My field supervisor gave written feedback on my data collection sheet and advised that he would reflect on how the lesson went and then provide further feedback via phone, or at our next meeting. In the afternoon we had the Halloween parade and the students watched a movie.
October 25, 2018
Today we wrote or EIND 215 midterm. We had done some preparation before class to make it a bit easier on ourselves. We were asked to pick a curriculum and find outcomes/ indicators that included and excluded First Nations content. I chose to look over the grade 8 health curriculum and was very disappointed to find that there was not a single outcome that included or even mention Indigenous people. My interpretation of that meant that the Ministry of Education does not see the need to educate students on Indigenous health practices and alternatives. When I went through the outcomes I could think of so many activities and lessons for each outcome that could incorporate FN content, but not all educators have that in mind when they are planning and that is worrisome.
We then took turns partnering up with each other and discussing different questions that our instructor had prepared to help guide our reflections later on. We then had to answer our reflection questions and submit them.
We spent the afternoon discussing our dossiers and how the upcoming weeks are going to look. We took the rest of the class to work on our deductive lesson plan.
I really enjoyed the way that this midterm assesses us. It is a technique I would like to test out in the future. I enjoy it because it goes beyond memorizing content, you have to be able to absorb and understand the material in order to engage and then respond to the question holistically. While it may be more difficult to grade you can gain a better understanding of your students this way.