Circle pedagogy is…an opportunity to create a safe environment where students can share their point of view. Everyone is equal and everyone belongs.
Talking circles… create a respectful approach to talking with others providing a sense of communion and interconnectedness that is not often present in the common ways of communicating in the classroom. Everyone has their turn to speak, all voices are heard in a respectful and attentive way, and the learning atmosphere becomes a rich source of information, identity, and interaction.
How it works…
- The teacher will have prepared a few topics or talking points for the circle to discuss
- Before we enter into the circle the class will establish their guidelines for the circle
- An object that will be passed around will be chosen.
- The students will be arranged in a circle
- The teacher will welcome everyone to the circle
- The teacher will introduce a topic for the circle
- The object will get passed around from student to student in a clockwise motion.
You can access the lesson that I have created using circle pedagogy here.
How they can look in the classroom…